A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit
Southwark Cathedral is the Cathedral church for the Diocese of Southwark which serves the people of South London and Surrey.
The Diocese was formed in 1905 and covers 317 square miles and more than 2.5 million people. The current and tenth Bishop of Southwark is the Rt Revd Christopher Chessun who was enthroned in March 2011.
The Diocese has three Episcopal Areas, Croydon, Kingston and Woolwich each led by an Area Bishop and two Archdeacons. Each Episcopal Area has a team of staff working with local parishes.
Bishops of Southwark
1905 - 1911 Edward Stuart Talbot
1911 - 1919 Hubert Murray Burge
1919 - 1932 Cyril Foster Garbett
1932 - 1942 Richard Godfrey Parsons
1942 - 1959 Bertram Fitzgerald Simpson
1959 - 1980 Arthur Mervyn Stockwood
1980 - 1991 Ronald Oliver Bowlby
1991 - 1998 Robert Kerr Williamson
1998 - 2010 Thomas Frederick Butler
2011 - present Christopher Thomas James Chessun
For further information please visit the Diocese of Southwark website here
The Diocese Hearts on Fire blog can be found here
A digital copy of the Diocesan newspaper The Bridge can be found here