Pastoral Care at the Cathedral
As a Christian community we seek to support one another and keep in touch. The congregations at Southwark Cathedral come from a wide area with some living many miles away. We hope that you will understand that regrettably it is not always possible to offer the level of pastoral care that is available in a parish church. Nonetheless, we seek to offer the best care we can to our visitors, congregations, volunteers and staff. Here is what is available.
Each one of us is the best resource caring for one another and responding to each other’s needs.
- The clergy team is available after services at the west end of the Cathedral near the font, though there is sometimes a bit of a queue! You can make an appointment with a priest by calling 020 7367 6700.
- Lay Ministers – Heather Smith (Southwark Pastoral Auxiliary) and Caroline Clifford (Reader) have a particular ministry of care and outreach and are often available after the 11am Choral Eucharist on Sunday.
- If you are ill for a prolonged period or go into hospital please let us know. We may be able to arrange for a member of the Pastoral Team to visit you and add your name to the prayer list if you would like. If you are in hospital we can arrange for a Hospital Chaplain to visit you.
- If you become housebound there is a team of lay people and clergy who can visit with the Blessed Sacrament.
- Prayer list – names of those in need of prayer may be added to the Cathedral Prayer list for four weeks. At the end of this time you may request an extension. Please contact the Sub Dean by email or telephone 020 7367 6700.
- Day Chaplains who are skilled listeners are available Monday to Saturday around the Cathedral.
- Cathedral Listeners are available for a confidential conversation in the Retrochoir (behind the High Altar) after the 11am Sunday Choral Eucharist.
- Care by phone is a way we keep in touch with those who have moved away from the Cathedral community and live further away.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation and Confession is available. Please contact the Cathedral Office 020 7367 6700 to make an appointment with a priest.
- Spiritual Direction and long term counselling will usually be referred to others. The clergy team are happy to help you to find suitable resources.
- The Sub Dean, Canon Michael Rawson, has overall responsibility for pastoral care at the Cathedral and can be contacted by email or telephone 020 7367 6700.
Prayer is at the heart of our life at Southwark Cathedral. We welcome your prayers being joined with ours. Please fill in the form below and your prayer request will be offered at the 8.15am Eucharist as soon as possible after you submit your request.